The 2020 Workplace LinkedIn Learning Report shows that 94 percent of employees say they would stay at a company longer if it invested in their learning and development. Moreover, 92 percent of employees say employee training programs impact their engagement positively.
And, given that engagement increases workplace productivity by an average of 21 percent, there’s no doubt that – training your employees is the key to keeping the entire organization productive and organized regardless of the number of employees you have.
And training documentation is the go-to way to do so!
By utilizing it to onboard and educate your team while also developing a robust knowledge base to standardize company operations and responsibilities — you can streamline and speed up the process of keeping your employees up to date with all training, learning and development initiatives.
Training documentation can also be used to educate your customers about your products and offerings whenever needed.
But, building training documentation is a huge pain. And keeping it up to date or knowing what training documentation works best to tackle different issues is the cherry on the top!
So, we’ve come up with this blog as a comprehensive resource for you. The top training documentation software for 2024 are:
What is training documentation software?
Training documentation software is a useful tool for training managers, learning and development departments and customer-facing teams. It makes it easier to create, organize and distribute learning materials such as training manuals, guides and courses.
These software provides interactive content development, format conversion, progress tracking and program analysis — helping you to streamline training efforts.
Types of training documentation software
There are a number of training documentation software available; here’s a list of 5 most important ones:
1. Screen recording and capture tools
These tools allow users to record on-screen processes, capture screenshots and annotate them. By visually demonstrating procedures and tasks, they are useful for developing video documentation, step-by-step guides and tutorials.
2. Learning management systems (LMS):
LMS platforms are comprehensive training solutions that enable firms to create, manage and deliver courses and training materials. They include tools for content production, evaluation, progress tracking and reporting, making them critical to managing the entire training process.
3. Content authoring tools:
These tools are used to create engaging and interactive training materials. They enable the creation of eLearning courses, interactive documentation, multimedia presentations and more. These tools enable users to create training modules that support different learning styles.
4. Document management systems:
Document management software focuses on organizing, storing and exchanging training documentation and resources. These systems provide simple access to relevant information, version control and collaboration, making them important for keeping a central database of essential documents.
5. Knowledge management software:
These are designed for developing, storing and sharing extensive training manuals, FAQs and knowledge bases. These systems give an organized approach to organizing and retrieving critical information, making them indispensable for reference and self-paced learning.
Top 8 training documentation software of 2023 to speed up your game
Looking to create visually appealing and functional training documentation? Scribe can be your go-to choice.
Create visual training documents in seconds. Simply click on the Scribe extension or desktop app and continue going through your processes. It automatically captures your workflow and generates easy-to-follow guides. Combine these guides into process documents, or 'Pages,' to create user-friendly training manuals.
Scribe's ability to develop text and annotated screenshots for your unique processes and then utilize AI to complete the rest of your manual is what sets it apart.
You may require multiple Scribes for more complex tasks such as new hire onboarding, technology rollouts, or customer training; feels like too much work! But with Scribe, It's simple — just open Scribe Pages, add your Scribes and let AI handle the rest.
The best part, Scribe automatically updates shared guides when you make changes, saving you from manual edits.
- No need for technical assistance.
- Saves time by recording and creating guides automatically.
- Collaboration with team members is seamless.
- Shared guides update automatically, eliminating manual work.
- Free version includes all the essential features to get started.
- Guides are limited outside of Pro plans
- Annotation and redaction features are limited to Pro plans
- Click to create and share visual step-by-step guides.
- Easy drag-and-drop interface.
- Integrates with 100+ tools.
- Get 15x faster process documentation.
- Mix and match to create various forms of documentation.
- Access pre-made page templates for various purposes.
- Use the built-in text and annotation editor to customize your training manuals.
- Instantly share training manuals as PDFs or URL links.
- Works on Windows, Mac and all web browsers.
Trainual is a widely recognized digital employee management platform known for its web-based training material creation capabilities, which include onboarding and compliance documentation. Its library of over 150 templates makes content production easier.
However, it should be noted that Trainual doesn't support SCORM files, which may be a drawback for enterprises that rely on SCORM player platforms.
You can enhance your training manuals by including GIFs and taking advantage of Pixabay's huge collection of royalty-free images. You can also use your company's colors and logo to keep a consistent, on-brand appearance.
- Tracks training progress.
- Over 150+ templates.
- Easily determines a new hire's competency in handling tasks on their own.
- Easy to keep all documents and videos in one location.
- Access to modules or training can be confusing
- If you aren't careful, some tasks and training can be pretty deep within training and hard to find.
- No SCORM/eLearning file support.
- Several free starter templates and process playbooks are provided.
- Built-in filtering and search features.
- 700+ easy embed integrations.
- 1-on-1 support from the team to help you set up your account.
- Custom secure URL features.
EdApp is a cloud-based training manual software that provides a variety of interactive templates for creating engaging microlearning courses for employees. If you don't want to start from scratch, you can select from pre-made templates in EdApp's editable library.
Furthermore, EdApp contains an AI translation capability that can translate training materials into over a hundred languages, making it a great tool for companies with a diverse global workforce.
EdApp, as an authoring tool, gives insights to help you enhance the structure of your training manuals. EdApp leverages smartphone features such as swiping, drag-and-drop interactions and gamification components to create engaging and motivating training experiences. These elements encourage employees to complete their courses and make the learning process effective.
- Built-in features, including Cloud-based translation, Canva integration and PowerPoint conversion.
- Great customer support.
- SCORM compliant.
- Progress tracking.
- Multilingual learning.
- Offline access is restricted.
- Limited control over visual design and layout.
- Expensive for large groups of users.
- Data-driven authoring tool for creating courses.
- A collection of 80+ microlearning templates that captivate and engage learners.
- A customized course library.
- Real-time content distribution and optimization to keep training up to date.
- An AI translation tool that works with over 100 languages smoothly.
- Gamification, analytics and reporting features to improve the learning experience.
With over 20 integrations, cloud hosting and configurable templates, it's simple to create engaging training manuals. ClickHelp provides 24-hour access, centralized storage, easy search and support for different document versions.
- Easy to use.
- Convenient to set up.
- Great customer support.
- Flexible, with all team members having access to the authoring environment.
- Custom branding options.
- Limited template options.
- Lack of functionality review.
- Access to training documents from any device at any time.
- Create comprehensive training manuals.
- WYSIWYG editor allows you to see your training materials in real-time.
- Centralized storage for your training manuals.
- Easily update your training materials.
5. iSpring Learn
iSpring Learn can be your go-to cloud-based learning management solution. It streamlines training by providing an authoring tool for interactive courses, quizzes and a variety of training materials. Its adaptability is demonstrated in use cases ranging from onboarding and sales to compliance training.
You can upload a variety of document types and detailed reports provide useful insights for measuring your progress and employee performance.
- User self-registration.
- Integration with PowerPoint.
- Payment system for selling courses.
- Modern, intuitive interface.
- User management is both simple and effective.
- Doesn’t support MacOS.
- It's a bit overwhelming for new users.
- Integrations with iSpring Suite's authoring tools and Zoom for live meetings.
- Compliance training.
- Custom branding is available.
- Quizzes for creating SCORM tests.
6. TechSmith Snagit
TechSmith's Snagit is an easy-to-use screen capture and recording software that makes it simple to create annotated screenshots and videos and create training materials. Snagit's capabilities include all-in-one recording, which allows users to record their entire screen or specific areas and panoramic scrolling capture for full-page and scrolling content.
Snagit also provides pre-made templates for rapid training document generation, as well as a cloud library for storing images, videos and GIFs. This program connects smoothly with numerous applications such as Slack, Dropbox, Google Drive, PowerPoint and Microsoft Word, increasing its adaptability for a wide range of activities and collaborations.
- You can save your edited captures in a variety of formats.
- Integrating with email, image editors and Microsoft Office documents.
- Does not generate step-by-step images and captions automatically.
- Poor resolution of images.
- Include images, GIFs and videos to enhance your content.
- Free and paid training manual templates are available.
- Share media across popular apps, platforms and cloud drives.
- Customize training manuals with professionally designed screenshot stickers.
TalentLMS is a cloud-based learning management system that streamlines team learning. You can quickly create new training courses with its user-friendly platform.
This adaptable tool is ideal for onboarding, compliance training, customer support, sales enablement and other purposes. It offers ready-to-use and customizable templates to save you time. Additionally, TalentLMS integrates with HubSpot, Salesforce, Zoom, BambooHR, etc.
- Simple and easy configuration.
- Users can select from a variety of content types.
- Notifications, SCORM and customizable user profiles are all supported.
- Compatible with Android, iPad and iPhone.
- Reporting and analytics are limited.
- Most plans do not include live chat assistance.
- Some valuable features, such as Custom Reports and the Automation Engine, are only available in the Plus tier.
- Provides fast customer support.
- User-friendly and easy to set up.
- Custom branding.
- Supports multimedia content.
- Allows custom assignments and automated learning tracks.
Coassemble is an easy-to-use training manual software for growing enterprises. It enables you to build and distribute interactive training manuals tailored to your employees' specific needs. Its primary purpose is to create meaningful training experiences by using visually appealing materials that attract employees' attention and encourage long-term knowledge retention.
Coassemble's authoring tool provides a variety of interactive screen templates and customizable lessons — making course creation easier. It also contains preloaded quiz templates for quick learning assessments. Furthermore, Coassemble offers SCORM file integration, allowing for the smooth transfer of existing courses from other platforms.
The platform allows you to recognize and congratulate your employees' training accomplishments, a motivational tactic promoting continuing engagement and advancement in their learning journeys.
- It integrates with Salesforce, Google, Microsoft Office and MailChimp, among others.
- It includes authoring tools that are easy to use.
- It provides increased visibility and near-instant search.
- You might face issues while uploading images.
- Limited live training management.
- Limited templates.
- Requires professional support to get started.
- 24-hour customer service.
- User-friendly interactive templates.
- Create courses with interactive quizzes.
- Deep analytics to improve training experiences.
- SCORM file option available.
What is training documentation? — Detailed explanation
Training documentation is an instructional resource that teaches new employees about an organization and its operations. It plays an important role in employee training, allowing existing employees to improve their understanding of new systems, tools, or software.
These documents promote continual employee development — contributing to improved job performance and directly impacting the company's financial performance by increasing employees' efficiency, competence, productivity and overall profitability.
Apart from that, training documentation is also meant for customers to help them understand a company’s offerings better.
Types of Training documentation you should know about
Different types of training documentation cater to different demands and objectives, from teaching specific tasks to assuring consistency and compliance in processes and procedures.
Training documentation can be in any form, such as:
1. How-to guides
How-to guides provide step-by-step instructions to assist customers or employees in understanding and performing specific tasks. They are written in a clear and simple manner to help consumers in completing a specific action or purpose.
2. Process documentations
Process documentation describes the detailed stages and processes involved in a specific workflow, system, or business procedure. It serves as a reference for employees, assisting them in understanding, following and optimizing processes within an organization.
3. Standard operating procedures (SOPs)
SOPs are detailed guidelines that establish consistent practices and processes inside a company. They are critical for maintaining uniformity and compliance, especially in industries with strict laws, such as healthcare and manufacturing.
4. Product guides
Product guides contain information regarding a given product's characteristics, usage, maintenance, fixing issues and any other important facts. They assist customers and end-users in getting the most out of a product and resolving any issues that may arise.
Importance of training documentation software — Why do you need one?
Before investing in training documentation software, you should know what value it brings to your table. So, let’s have a look at them.
1. Accelerating new employee onboarding
Training documentation shortens the learning curve for new employees, allowing them to become more productive and proficient faster — making the onboarding process easier and less stressful for both new hires and the firm.
2. Reducing managerial support needs
Well-structured training materials reduce the need for constant supervision and support, allowing managers to focus on more strategic tasks.
3. Improving customer product understanding
Providing detailed and user-friendly product guides increases client happiness, satisfaction and loyalty by ensuring they can utilize your products and offerings efficiently.
Training documentation software FAQs
1. What is the best software to create a training manual?
However, there are various training documentation software available; Scribe, an AI-powered software designed to create unique guides customized to your needs, will do this heavy lifting for you most efficiently.
It offers many benefits, such as pre-made templates, built-in text, an annotation editor to customize your training manuals, instant sharing features, automatic updates of shared guides, etc.
2. How do I make a training document?
Here are some steps to create a training document:
- Establish the goals of your training documentation.
- Define your target audience — employees? Customers?
- Obtain feedback from relevant teams inside your organization.
- Plan your content.
- Determine the format for the training manual.
- Create your content.
- Finish and share your manual.
- Edit and update as needed.
3. What to look for when choosing training documentation software?
Keep the following criteria in mind when selecting training documentation software:
- Features and Functionality:
Look for a provider who provides the features you need. Check that it aligns with your firm's demands and goals.
- Pricing and ROI:
Maintain a reasonable budget while aiming for a positive return on investment. (For example, Scribe offers a free trial so that you get an overview of the product and decide whether it’s the best choice for you, and its pricing starts at just $12/month; that’s insane!)
Select a solution that connects seamlessly with your existing technology stack. (For example, Scribe offers integration with 100+ tools, including HubSpot, monday.com, etc.).
- Ease of Use:
To increase productivity, prioritize software that is intuitive and user-friendly.
Choose the training documentation software that suits your needs!
Training manuals are crucial to help your employees perform their best. It also helps you solve customer issues without getting exhausted by the same questions again and again.
In this blog, we've discussed different types of training documentation that you can choose from to match your requirements. We’ve also provided an overview of 8 training documentation software with detailed explanations — so you can choose the software that suits your needs. Before deciding on one, it’s advisable to try different software by signing up for their free trial to get a holistic view.
Ready to create training documentation the right way? Let Scribe help you! Get started for free.