- What is a customer service training manual template?
- What to include in your customer service training manual
- What are the benefits of customer service training manuals?
- Free customer service training manual template
- Best practices for using this customer service training manual template
- AI-powered customer service training manual templates
- Try our free customer service training manual template
Customer service is no longer a reactive effort to limit costs. It's now part of an overall strategy to build brand loyalty and decrease churn.
Customer service training manuals provide the information your team needs to deliver excellent customer experiences—and templates are the easiest way to get started.
If you're looking to create a customer service training manual, use Scribe's free customer service training manual template. It includes everything you need to get started, including a sample outline and instructions on creating your manual.
Read on if you want to learn more about creating a comprehensive manual.
Want a tool that builds your personalized manual for you? Scribe is an AI-powered tool that documents your processes to create visual guides, then lets you combine them with video, images and more along with generative AI.
"I love that I'm able to create training materials so quickly and easily. All I have to do is turn on the extension, and then I can just click through a few steps and create an amazing training resource for my time." —Kirkland G., SEO Training Lead
TL;DR: Customer service training manual template
- Customer service training manuals ensure that all representatives provide consistent, high-quality service.
- Use Scribe's free customer service training manual template to create your own.
- Your manual should include company values, product knowledge, conflict resolution, escalation processes, and FAQs.
- Benefits of using a training manual include customer satisfaction, employee empowerment and employee retention.
- Best practices for creating a manual include emphasizing empathy, defining the scope of customer service, keeping it updated, and using engaging content.
What is a customer service training manual template?
A customer service training manual template is the "guiding star" for your customer service team to self-train and respond to specific customer queries.
A good customer service training manual includes the essential information your team needs to respond to provide consistent customer service.
Customer service training manual templates maintain efficient customer service processes. They provide a standard customer interaction process, ensuring all employees handle situations consistently.
What to include in your customer service training manual
A customer service training manual template outlines the essential information that customer service representatives need to know in order to provide excellent customer service. You'll want to cover the following topics:
- Company values, mission & ethics: Give guidelines on how the team's actions should demonstrate the company culture, values and what they stand for.
- Product & service knowledge: Everything your customer service reps need to know about your product and services.
- Company policies and procedures: Outline your company's customer service policies and procedures, like how to handle complaints, returns and refunds.
- Do's & don'ts: Let your support agents know how far they can go to solve a customer’s problem and what protocol to follow. If exceptions are allowed, include them in the template.
- Common customer concerns and how to address them.
- Communication skills: Provide tips on how to communicate effectively, including active listening, empathy and problem-solving.
- Problem-solving: Give your team guidance on how to identify and resolve customer problems.
- How to address conflicts: Set clear guidelines for handling and resolving conflicts while reinforcing empathy.
- Escalation process: Not all customer issues can be solved in one interaction. Set up detailed guidelines for the escalation process.
- Customer lifecycle: Along with problem-solving measures, include information on the customer service experience throughout the customer lifecycle.
- FAQs: A list of them as frequently asked questions and how to resolve those issues quickly.
- Sample scripts that your support agents can use to handle common situations.
- Training materials like videos, articles, and other resources empower your team to learn the skills they need.
- Technology: Information on the technology your team uses, like how to use the CRM system and how to access customer records.
- Metrics and reporting: Explain how your customer service metrics are tracked and reported, so that your team can measure performance and make improvements.
By incorporating these guidelines into training manuals and regularly discussing them with your staff members, you can streamline and simplify customer interactions while avoiding confusion or double standards.
What are the benefits of customer service training manual templates?
Delivering an excellent customer experience is one of the best ways to build customer loyalty—and keep them coming back.
According to the Zendesk CX Trends 2023 report, "60 percent of consumers have purchased something from one brand over another based on the service they expect to receive."
Using a template to create customer service training manuals ensures that all of your representatives provide consistent, high-quality service. Here are the benefits of making these templates a core part of your customer service training programs:
- Onboard new hires and get them up to speed on communicating effectively with customers, resolving customer issues quickly and efficiently, and improving customer satisfaction.
- Provide an easy reference for the staff members to refer to when in doubt about tackling a customer issue.
- Teach the team how to resolve problems and make customers happy.
- Motivate and empower the team to connect better with customers.
- Show employees how their role can affect the company's bottom line.
- Improve employee retention and satisfaction.
- Improve soft skills so customer service reps can do their job better.
Free customer service training manual template
- Customer service fundamentals.
- Product knowledge.
- Problem solving.
Using this customer service training manual template, you can cover all the important topics and customize them to fit your organization's support process. It's a great resource that can save you time and help you provide your team with the tools they need to excel in their customer service roles.
“I create a Scribe once, share it and I'm done. I don't have to worry about having to show the same thing multiple times. Onboarding is easier and our clients are happier!” — Elizabeth H., Customer Service Representative
Best practices for using this customer service training manual template
Here are some best practices for your training manual guide that can empower your customer service team and help them do their job in the best possible ways.
1. Start with the customer
The first step is to understand what your customers want and expect, including their needs, pain points and expectations for customer service.
2. Define the scope of customer service
Modern customer service is more than resolving customer issues. Your manual should demonstrate how to drive a customer service culture across the organization, including all customer-facing roles.
3. Define the decision-making power
Resolving specific customer issues may require decision-making authority. While empowering your customer support staff to make quick decisions is essential, many brands have a hierarchy for certain decisions. Let your support reps know what they can and can't offer so they don't make a promise that negatively impacts the brand's reputation.
4. Don't assume—give step-by-step instructions
Customer service training manuals serve as the foundation for customer service programs.
Outline specific customer service policies so your team can refer to them whenever needed rather than make assumptions. Cite examples and scenarios for easy understandability. Keep the language simple and make it engaging. You can use Scribe to create standard operating procedures and process documentation guides to help your teams understand how to tackle any issue step-by-step.
5. Include the refund/return policies
Return and refund are some of the most common customer issues. Create a separate section on your company's return and refund policies or include them in your FAQs so your customer service reps know the policy.
6. Practice empathy
Highlight how support agents can display empathy by listening actively, understanding how the customer might feel, and quickly resolving and minimizing frustration.
7. Emphasize positive communication
Customer service is all about building a process for positive customer interactions. While creating your customer service training manual, emphasize the importance of positive communication, how to do and why it is so crucial to develop a positive culture for your brand.
8. Use real-life examples
Real-life examples can help support reps apply the information in the training manual to real-world situations.
9. Engage your audience with visuals
No one will want to read a 100-page long text-heavy document! Training manuals can be informative as well as engaging too. Use rich media, audio, video, and images to make it more interactive. You can use free training manual software like Scribe to create step-by-step visual training manuals.
10. Add links to additional resources
Along with the customer service training, create additional resources to help employees do their job better. For example, you can build a resource library for product information, sales and marketing information, billing information, etc.
11. Create in multiple formats
Once your customer support training manual is ready, publish it in multiple formats like PDF, ebook or online and keep it easily accessible to the entire team.
12. Keep the manual updated
As your business evolves, the business environment may change too. Review your training manual regularly and keep it up to date. Keeping everything documented can help to resolve similar issues that may arise in the future. By storing your training manuals on a centralized platform with easy access, you can create a single source of truth for your customer service manual.
13. Create a customer service knowledge base
A customer service knowledge base is an organized collection of documentation, videos and other information that helps customers understand your product or service. Knowledge bases give customers access to the info they need quickly and easily.
Customer service agents can also use your knowledge base to develop their customer service skills and help customers more efficiently.
"@ScribeHow has helped our team at @RZeroSystems scale from 30 to 200 employees and 50 to 300 customers over the past year." — Grant M.
AI-powered customer service training manual templates
Creating customer service training manuals from scratch may seem daunting, but knowing what to include can give you a direction to get started.
Scribe is a powerful tool that helps customer success teams streamline their onboarding process and improve the customer experience. Powered by AI, Scribe creates visual step-by-step guides that capture screenshots and text to make it easy for customer service representatives and customers to understand and use a product or service.
When you're ready to share your manual with the company and customers, you can send it via email, embed in your wiki or LMS, or export to PDF.
Scribe helps your team automate processes, reduce ad hoc customer questions, save time, and focus on building customer relationships.
Why customer success teams are choosing Scribe
- Make customer onboarding easy by easy capturing and sharing processes in seconds.
- Train any customer on any tool. Simply go through your process to generate a guide, complete with text and screenshots.
- Combine multiple Scribes and let the AI-powered tool add additional context and support so that you can build training manuals, procedures and so much more.
- Scribe answers your FAQs for you by auto-generating your workflow.
Here's what Scribe users have to say
Alyssa S., Senior Customer Support Manager at Gong, and her team use Scribe to increase customer experience and boost performance.
With Scribe, Alyssa has built a Gong customer success guide, which the team uses to:
- Provide tailored, white-glove support to her entire customer base at scale.
- Share documentation and best practices resources with her team at Gong.
- Provide visual step-by-step instructions to answer frequently asked questions from customers.
- Create a resource library allowing the team to quickly access and share relevant information with customers.
- Spend less time on internal tasks and more time with customers.
- Onboard, train and upskill employees.
Watch the video to hear from Alyssa on how Scribe has helped take her team (and her clients) to the next level.
Try our free customer service training manual template
Providing your team with the right tools can improve customer satisfaction and boost your company's reputation and bottom line. If you're ready to add training manuals to your customer service program, Scribe's free template is a great place to start.