This is where standard operating procedures (SOP) software can help.
In this guide, we explore the benefits of SOP software and how you can evaluate the right tool for your team.
We’ve also included our top 10 standard operating procedure software picks for 2024 to help you get started.
What are the best SOP software platforms in 2024?
What is a standard operating procedure (SOP)?
A standard operating procedure (SOP) is a set of documented instructions outlining the steps and guidelines necessary to perform a specific task or process consistently. It's a reference that helps others execute the task efficiently and safely.
SOPs are crucial in almost any industry, like healthcare, manufacturing, research and aviation, where you need precise procedures to maintain quality, compliance and safety standards.
With SOPs, businesses can cut down on performance variability, which is especially crucial in fields that need precision and compliance.
Let’s take a look at an example of an SOP.
For instance, in a manufacturing setting, an SOP for quality control could outline the steps to inspect and validate products before they reach customers.
This document, generated and managed through SOP software, would detail the specific criteria for acceptance, rejection and reporting, leaving no room for ambiguity.
What is standard operating procedure software?
Standard operating procedure software is a tool that records your organization’s processes and procedures in an application where team members can interact, collaborate and track the status of an SOP.
These software systems help teams turn procedures into clear and engaging documents, checklists or tasks that give employees the exact information they need to complete or delegate their work accurately.
SOP software also makes it easier for supervisors and project managers to review the status of a project — without any dependencies.
What are the benefits of standard operating procedures software?
At the core, an SOP tool makes managing routine processes easier and less overwhelming. It establishes a clear list of to-dos for team members and provides leadership with a top-level view of how processes are flowing.
But the benefits of SOP software run much deeper throughout the entire organization. Here are some of the top benefits of using a tool to manage your standard operating procedures:
- Improved consistency - Whether you’re delivering a product or a service to your customers, you want each experience to be consistent. An SOP tool can ensure that all the same steps and processes are followed, so customer expectations are met each and every time.
- Increased productivity - When procedures are clearly laid out, every team member knows exactly what they need to do. Reducing confusion or complications can create an environment where every team member can be as productive as possible.
- Enhanced autonomy - SOP tools make standardized procedures easily accessible to any team member at any time, giving them the tools they need to make better decisions on their own and be more confident in their work.
- Preserve knowledge - Maintain a clean database of all your procedures so you never lose knowledge as team members advance or leave the company — giving new hires and promoted employees all the information they need to step into a new role.
- Reduce errors - SOPs offer clear instructions for teams to follow, resulting in fewer missed steps and fewer mistakes.
10 Best SOP Software Tools in 2024
Capterra Rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars
Pricing: Free basic plan
Scribe is an AI-powered tool that documents your processes for you — turning any workflow into visual SOPs.
The free tool works by capturing your screen as you work. Simply turn on the extension, then go through your process. Scribe captures your clicks and keystrokes to create a step-by-step guide.
Now your team, new employees and even customers can see and follow best practices in seconds. Scribes are easy to create, edit and share. They can be sent via link, exported to PDF, HTML or Markdown, or embedded in any knowledge base.
Use Scribe Pages to combine several guides, then use AI to build SOP manuals, training materials and so much more.
- Easy-to-use interface with little to no learning curve.
- Processes are captured immediately upon clicking a desktop recorder, no external application required.
- Information is streamlined and scaled across different channels via integrations with 100+ software.
- SOPs can easily be distributed using a live URL or HTML embeds
- Extra features like branded guides and customizable screenshots are only available to customers on the paid Pro plan.
Capterra Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Whale Pricing: Starting at $12/user/month
Whale is an SOP management and knowledge management software in one. Not only does it have SOP templates and a built-in review system, but Whale’s browser extension lets you embed SOP contextual suggestions into your team’s workflow. Users get quick access to the information they need right where they’re working.
Whale is built for small and medium-sized businesses and they offer additional support and services to help smaller teams get up and running quickly and efficiently. Their service implementation team provides one-on-one training calls to help aid in a smooth transition onto the platform.
- Modern and clean interface to centralize and organize high volumes of SOPs.
- Helpful recommended content from all integrated business apps can be immediately surfaced with their browser extension.
- Short learning curve for setting up workflows to track and manage training assignments and progress.
- Training hubs cannot be customized to follow company branding guidelines.
- Limited editing capabilities compared to a typical regular word-processing document editor.
3. Process Street
G2 Rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars
Capterra Rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars
Process Street Pricing: Unlimited free team members
Process Street Overview
Process Street manages recurring workflows and team knowledge in the form of collaborative pages and checklists.
Teams can create workflow documentation templates and run multiple instances, including assigning different workflow stages and tasks to specific individuals. Users can even upload documents and give approvals — eliminating the need for additional apps.
Process Street integrates with thousands of popular apps to keep your entire stack updated without additional work from your team. There is even a database of editable process templates to make it easy to get your SOP tool up and running quickly.
- Easy to create dynamic workflows and checklists to manage tasks.
- Map out complex processes with conditional logic functions.
- No-code process automation using drag-and-drop APIs.
- No templates to help users work with repeatable processes.
- A longer learning curve to get up to speed with the software’s extensive functionality.
Capterra Rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars
MaintainX Pricing: Free for small teams
MaintainX is a mobile-first platform designed for employees who don’t work at a desk, including industrial and frontline workers.
MaintainX gives on-the-go employees easy access to everything from work orders to procedures and checklists so they can check requirements and appropriate instructions no matter where they are. The cloud-based platform also makes it easy for scattered employees to stay in touch and up-to-date with different tasks and project statuses.
MaintainX goes beyond SOP management, including inventory management, inspections, and work order management, so all your important information is stored right in one place. Your team only needs one app, so they won’t have to worry about third-party tools or systems being outdated.
- Robust reporting capabilities for work orders and inspections.
- Customizable automated triggers to ensure accurate work orders.
- Allows on-app collaboration via chats, comments, and file uploads.
- Longer learning curve to set up the product and get it ready for use.
- Limited customization capabilities to make tasks and boards organization-specific.
Capterra Rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars
Trainual Pricing: Starting at $49/month for up to 5 users
Trainual takes your SOPs and procedure instructions and turns them into step-by-step “playbooks” for teams to follow. Document processes with text, videos, and even GIFs to reduce process confusion and create more interactive, engaging user experience. Then assign steps to team members and keep an eye on how things are progressing.
Trainual organizes more than just your processes and policies — you can also keep clear records of employee and company information so team members can quickly access additional context about who they’re working with or the organization’s values, mission, and vision. Trianual is an all-in-one tool for providing your team with all the information they need to succeed in their roles.
- Work with a library of diverse pre-built process templates.
- Embed GIFS, videos, images, and slides into training modules.
- Interactive content hub with a progress bar, pro tips, and a help icon for self-service support.
- Extensive range of possibilities to structure training modules, which can require a longer time upfront for teams to tailor it to their unique needs.
Capterra Rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars
Dozuki Pricing: $12/user/month for 250+ users
Dozuki is a knowledge, training and standardization platform designed for industrial companies.
It’s mobile-friendly interface makes it easy for experts to document images, videos, and more on the go so they can capture as much detail as possible when adding or updating process documents. Process changes are automatically registered across all devices and platforms so your team is always working from accurate information.
Dozuki also provides robust analytics, so you can identify opportunities for improvement or additional training. Use customizable dashboards to get a real-time view of how your team is working, what procedures they’re accessing, and what systems might need a refresh. You can even track the progress of training modules to bridge knowledge gaps and ensure all your employees have the resources they need to do their job correctly.
- Easy to organize documentation into different categories (like shifts, locations, or job functions).
- Version control features that automatically restrict access to outdated content.
- Interactive training guides that allow operators to report measurements and answer prompts.
- Less flexibility to customize documentation and data collection templates.
- Has limitations on the number of photos and videos that can be used on each page.
Capterra Rating: n/a
SweetProcess Pricing: $99/month for up to 20 active members + $5/month for each additional member
SweetProcess is a robust yet easy-to-use tool that handles everything from procedure documentation to task management and knowledge sharing. They offer just one plan (so no worrying about what membership level is right for you or settling for “basic” features because you’re on a budget) that includes process maps, integration through Zapier or their API, version history, task management and real-time collaboration.
SweetProcess is a great option for smaller teams that don’t want to settle on functionality. It even includes a public-facing knowledge base, so you can easily lead customers, partners, or other external stakeholders through important processes and procedures — and keep all your important information in one place.
- Centralized platform for SOP creation, organization, delegating and tracking.
- Simple interface for creating and editing SOPs and training documents.
- Easy way to turn existing procedures and documents into knowledge bases with search functionality and engagement tracking.
- Limited ability to customize document templates and format content.
- Limited integrations compared to other SOP software.
Capterra Rating: n/a
ProcessKit Pricing: $49/month for up to 3 team members
ProcessKit focuses primarily on customer and client onboarding, making it a perfect option for agencies.
It brings automation to the forefront, so your team can bring new clients on faster and more efficiently, increasing productivity and helping your new clients see the results of their investment faster. But while the focus is on customer onboarding, ProcessKit’s tools can be used for a variety of operating procedures.
ProcessKit also offers assistance improving existing processes and designing new ones. They have a number of ready-made templates to build from, or you can even work with an expert to ensure the processes you’re implementing and automating are as efficient as possible.
- Set up repeatable processes that accelerate sharing SOPs and training content with clients.
- Create dynamic workflows that include conditional logic, automated triggers, and form fills.
- Keep track of workflows and delegated tasks with a Kanban view.
- Longer implementation curve, especially if teams are working with long and complex processes.
Capterra Rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars
Poka.io Pricing: Not available
Poka.io is another mobile-first application designed for frontline workers in the manufacturing space. It makes accessing standard operating procedures and task checklists easy when an employee is away from a computer and lets team members communicate and update processes from their mobile devices.
Employees get notifications as they’re working of updated instructions or new information, so you don’t have to worry about your team missing alerts or changes when they’re on the work floor.
Poka.io focuses on making work easier while also making it more efficient. Control document publication and store procedure versions to demonstrate compliance, create QR codes for easy access to specific instructions, and embed clear instructions in the form of short videos and written steps to reduce confusion and even improve employee engagement.
- Centralized location for frontline workers to access job SOPs, troubleshooting documentation, and related news.
- Robust dashboard for companies to view all of their employee’s skill sets and training progress.
- Includes a news feed that employees can engage with to stay up to date with what’s happening on the factory floor.
- The comprehensiveness of the platform can make it time-consuming to set up, maintain, and locate documents.
- Limited functionalities to export and customize data collected via forms and task-tracking activities.
Capterra Rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars
Macro Pricing: Free for up to 5 members
Macro keeps process management simple so your team can create powerful workflows without the extra headache. Manage everything from repetitive procedures to one-off tasks with due dates, task assignees, and pre-built templates. Users see all items they’re responsible for with a personal inbox, so they know exactly what is expected of them.
Macro integrates with third-party apps and tools through Zapier, so you can keep the other tools you use updated in real time. You can even use variables to create personalized workflows that help your team stay focused and on task.
- Easy user onboarding with a short learning curve.
- Intuitive process builders that allow teams to customize workflows with automation and manual steps.
- Integrates with core communication tools like Slack and Gmail.
- Limited capabilities to act on data regarding past workflows.
Choosing the best SOP software for your team
The most important thing to consider when choosing SOP software is the ease of integrating it into every business workflow so you can effectively share knowledge with your team — whether it’s for training, onboarding, or day-to-day operations.
While flashy features or trendy branding might get your attention, you want to select a tool that works with your team’s unique needs, challenges and processes. The last thing you want to do is introduce a platform that introduces additional burdens whenever you want to document a procedure or create knowledge-sharing content.
Finding a tool that works best for you can feel overwhelming, but you can simplify your search by understanding the features that your team needs to get set up for success.
Whether it’s automation capabilities, version control, or content management flexibility, the right SOP software is poised to make it easier for your team to be productive and more satisfied with the work their delivering.
Here are a few examples of SOP software features you’ll want to evaluate:
- Centralized hub: SOP software should house documents, procedures, and processes in one easily accessible location.
- Unique sharing and permissions settings: Make sure the right employees (and only the right employees) can view and access the procedures they need.
- Document and procedure version control: Procedure documentation will likely undergo changes as processes and steps are refined. Your SOP tool should make auditing, editing, and organizing versions easy.
- Task assignment and tracking: One of the biggest differentiators between knowledge management platforms and SOP tools is the ability to assign tasks and track procedure status.
- Integrations: Choosing SOP software that integrates with the project management, communication, and other tools your team uses every day will make it even easier for them to access the instruction they need to work as productively as possible.
SOP Software: Frequently Asked Questions
How does SOP software work?
Teams can use SOP software to centralize a range of process documentation capabilities, from creating documents to deploying automated triggers, tracking progress, and keeping content up-to-date. Typically, teams will use SOP software to build out their documentation with an in-app editor. From there, they can lay their documents out with the right formatting and visuals before using the software to distribute them to team members via links or integrations with other tools.
Some SOP software also allows teams to manage other backend processes like peer reviews, collaboration, progress trackers, and workflow builders.
How easy is SOP software to use?
The ease-of-use of an SOP software is dependent on the tool’s user experience and feature set, or the complexities of the processes that your team would like to document.
Tools like Scribe have little to no learning curve, only requiring users to click on a desktop-based recorder and customize documents with a rich text editor. The user interface for Scribe is minimal, modern, and organized, making it easy for users to learn how to use the tool and navigate through their dashboard without any external support.
On the other hand, some platforms may have clunky user interfaces that make it difficult to find documents and features. If a platform has an extensive suite of features that need to be customized to fit your unique workflows and requirements, this will also take a longer time to implement.
What is an example of a Standard Operating Procedure?
An example of a standard operating procedure (SOP) is a document that formalizes the most effective way for a sales team to use LinkedIn for effective prospecting.
This SOP keeps the prospecting process standardized across all team members, allowing companies to reduce time wasted trying to figure out the platform or finding poor-quality leads.
What are the benefits of standard operating procedures?
Standard Operating Procedures have several benefits. These step-by-step instructions can serve any business, in any industry. First of all, they ensure consistency.
Imagine a coffee shop where every barista follows the same steps to make a latte. Customers get the same great taste every time. Second of all, SOPs improve efficiency.
With clear instructions, tasks are done faster and with fewer mistakes. And last of all, SOPs make training easier and faster. New employees can learn tasks quickly and perform them accurately.
Overall, SOPs make businesses run smoother, save time and deliver consistent quality.
Wrapping up: SOP Software
Standard Operating Procedure software revolutionizes the way organizations document and manage their processes. It serves as a centralized hub where teams can collaborate, track progress, and ensure tasks are executed accurately. This translates to improved process consistency, efficiency, and streamlined collaboration across various industries.
When selecting SOP software, it's crucial to look at seamless integration into existing workflows. By understanding the essential features required, teams can make an informed choice that sets them up for success, ultimately leading to higher productivity and job satisfaction.
Scribe stands out as a top choice for businesses looking for effective process documentation. Its powerful features, including immediate process capture and streamlined information sharing, set it apart from the rest.
Embrace the future of SOP management with Scribe - your gateway to consistent, efficient, and error-free operations.