Screenshots are becoming more and more useful (and necessary) in our daily lives, whether we’re showing someone how something is done, asking questions of our own just sharing what we’ve found.
Every system has the “Print Screen” option in some keystroke or another — but that still comes with drawbacks. When you use the print-screen option to take a picture, adding text, arrows and highlighters to the captured image can be tiresome.
Screenshots are very useful in recording both amusing and crucial information and documenting problems so that others can see what's happening. Still, it can be a tedious process to take screenshots then use third-party tools for edits
Imagine you could edit, annotate, organize and save all of your screenshots in a single tool, then easily upload them to collaborative apps such as Slack or Trello.
That might just be a dream come true, right?
In this article, you'll find a list of the top screenshot applications. You may take screenshots on any platform, including Windows, Mac, iPhone, Android and more.
The best screenshot software in 2022
Say goodbye to the era of spending hours editing a screenshot in Paint or Canva. Nowadays you can take perfect screenshots with the help of customizable screengrab tools.
Here are the top ten screenshot software that make the whole process of taking screenshots simple for for different systems.
Used for: Chrome, Edge and Desktop
G2 rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars
It's easy to use Scribe, a browser extension or desktop app that allows you to create step-by-step guides with just one click.
It's a straightforward process. Simply click "Record" and Scribe will start of capturing your process. Once you’re done, you’ll get a finished guide, complete with screenshots and text. Instantly share via link or embed in any knowledge base.
Make the most of your screen capture with easily edited and updated screenshots. Easily customize your Scribe to create visual SOPs, training manuals and other documents for free.
Scribes are made in real time, based your your clicks and keystrokes. Save hours developing manual documentation and train your teammates in minutes. Scribe makes your screenshots work for you!
Features of Scribe
- Modify and annotate screen captures with markups and image editing tools.
- Support various languages.
- Combine Scribes in Pages process docs and add more images, text and video.
- Save and download individual screenshots and complete Scribes.
- Access flexible alternatives for sharing and publishing content.
Used for: Windows app, Chrome extension, Mac, Mozilla Firefox browser, IE, and Opera.
G2 rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Capterra rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars
Lightshot is an efficient and quick screen capture tool that operates directly from the top menu of your computer. It gives you the ability to make changes to a screenshot whenever you hit the Print Screen button on your keyboard.
In Lightshot, if you press the PrtScn button, a translucent overlay will appear over your screen and the cropping tools.
The image that was obtained may be simply resized and moved around. This program is perfect for those that need to store important information from their displays, such as students, employees or independent contractors.
Features of Lightshot
- Share links to screenshots on the internet.
- View the screenshot history.
- Edit and save a capture to the computer.
- Upload onto the web.
Used for: Mac, Windows App and Mozilla Firefox
G2 rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars
Capterra rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars
Pricing: Free or $1.99 in the App Store
This free and open-source screenshot tool is lightning-fast, small and easy to use. In addition, it's open-source, so you can use whatever number of plugins you like.
While you're browsing the web, take screenshots of the current page as you browse with Greenshot's Fullscreen and Window modes. A variety of file types are available for storing and modifying collected photos.
Annotated snips can be saved to a clipboard, printed out, emailed or posted to photo-sharing sites or Microsoft Office programs. As a free alternative to Windows Snipping Tool, Greenshot has better markups and integrations.
Features of Greenshot
- Integrated picture editor with arrows, text, sketching and the ability to manipulate images.
- Captured photographs are printed, emailed and saved to the clipboard.
- Memory utility preserves photos that have been captured in the past.
- Plugins for the services Jira, Box, Imgur, and Microsoft Office.
- Greenshot provides a number of modes for taking screenshots.
- Multiple languages are supported.
4. Markup Hero
Used for: Mac, Windows, Linux and Chromebook
G2 rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars
Capterra rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars
Pricing: Free for 30 markups per month and $4/month for unlimited markups.
Make use of Markup Hero, a screenshot and an annotation app. Markup Hero is especially suitable if you don't want to install anything.
It's made to make it easier to organize your thoughts, express yourself more effectively and save time.
The web-based editor has a few unique advantages. It’s possible to annotate with different colored arrows, arrows, lines, rectangles and ovals. You may also use a highlighter or a pen and adjust line thickness.
Text, arrows, lines, shapes, blurs, pens and highlighters are some of the annotation tools available. Change colors, flip or rotate images, and add more pages or information as needed.
The program allows you to copy and paste your markup comments into other apps, and store your work both locally and in the cloud.
Features of Markup Hero
- The capacity to record thoughts and share them with others using the app's built-in picture and PDF uploader.
- A method for annotating PDFs, pictures and web pages with notes and comments.
- Easy access to all of your notes and markups with just one click.
- A robust library feature that enables you to add titles to screenshots, build collections, view your image history and manage your privacy settings, among other things.
Used for: Mac, Windows, and Linux
G2 rating: 4.7 out of 5
Capterra rating: 4.6 out of 5
Pricing: Free. Pro for $9.95 per month.
Use the CloudApp Screenshot App to record and modify screenshots on the go.
The editor allows you to work with a single-window, your full screen or even a specific area of your PC. The screenshot annotation tool lets you add text, emojis, arrows and other objects to your image.
Once you've completed working on an image, quickly share it with You can edit a screenshot and transmit it straight to Slack via Slack integrations. You can also use Google Docs, JIRA, Trello and Zendesk to share files.
You can also manage who has access to your screenshots and when they expire by using the "privacy and expiration" option.
Features of Cloud App
- Send screenshots using several platforms such as Google Docs, Slack,
- Record high-definition video from your screen or create recordings with your camera.
- Restrict who can view your screenshots and when they will be deleted.
- Annotate images with text, arrows, emoticons and forms.
Used for: Mac and Windows
G2 rating: 4.5 out of 5
Capterra rating: 4.5 out of 5
Pricing: $0 per month for an individual user. Personal Use: $5.99 per month, for an individual user. The Pro plan starts at $8.29 per month for 5 users.
This software is ideal for people, organizations and corporations who take screenshots and screen recordings on a regular basis. Everything is kept on the cloud, and you can share a link to the cloud storage with anybody, regardless of location.
Droplr is a comprehensive solution that offers cutting-edge features, integrations and full-scale protection all in one convenient package.
It will upload the image to your Droplr cloud account and provide a short URL that you can use to share the file with anyone, anywhere after you capture a screenshot. You may use email, Slack, or one of the many integrations, such as Google Docs, Jira, or Photoshop to accomplish this.
You can view all of your screenshots from your dashboard, as well as drop statistics, privacy settings, and much more. Using the Droplr dashboard, you can browse, organize and manage all of your uploaded files from one area. With the use of boards and tags, users can keep track of their files.
Features of Droplr
- Allows you to add text and highlight certain parts of your screenshots with Droplr's screenshot editor. Add circles, arrows and lines as well as other forms to your photographs with the Shapes tool.
- To snap a full-page screenshot of your current tab, you may use Droplr's Chrome Extension for Google. As a result of this, the software will automatically scroll and scan the whole web page in order to take a screenshot of the whole thing.
- A program for Mac and Windows as well as an extension for Google Chrome make Droplr accessible to users on any platform. Droplr has mobile applications for both iOS and Android devices. Droplr is the go-to solution for those who utilize a variety of machines and operating systems.
- Using Droplr's built-in screenshot blur feature, users may remove sensitive information from their screenshots. Clients and coworkers will appreciate this function when it's used to share documents or files.
Used for: Mac and Windows
G2 rating: 4.6 out of 5
Capterra rating: 4.7 out of 5
Pricing: One-time fee of $62.99
An excellent snapshot program, Snagit enables you to take screenshots of the whole process rather than just the current screen.
There are many complex capabilities and editing tools included in TechSmith's Snagit screen-capture program. While browsing, you may take screenshots of complete conversation histories or wide-angle views. Almost every screen capture demand may be met by modifying photos, trimming video clips and annotating text.
If that wasn't enough, it can also be used to make GIFS and annotate photos as well as to change the size of images!
Finished projects may be sent to several destinations, including Gmail, Twitter, Word, and PowerPoint in TechSmith's own Screencast (for archiving) and Camtasia (for advanced video editing).
Features of Snagit
- Images may be edited in terms of size, special effects, and so on.
- It contains a preview window that displays a zoomed image of the portion of the screen over which the pointer is now hovering.
- The screen capture procedure may be completed much more quickly with a fast toolbar.
- Snagit is compatible with both the Windows and Mac operating systems.
- Snagit is available in a number of other languages, including Japanese, Korean, German, and English.
- It may also be used to capture a video of the screen, which can then be quickly sent through email or shared on the internet.
- It takes a snapshot of the entire page while scrolling and catches both the vertical and horizontal scrolling.
Used for: Mac and Windows
G2 rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars
Capterra rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars
Pricing: Free recording plan available. $1.65/month for the Solo Deluxe Plan, which includes a sophisticated recorder and video editing (billed yearly).
Screencast-O-Matic is a free screen-capture application that allows you to take screenshots and record up to 15 minutes of video from the screen or camera of your computer (or both simultaneously). No money will be spent if that's all you require. That being said, there is a slew of extra features available with the Deluxe ($1.65 per month billed yearly) and Premier ($4 per month billed annually) subscriptions.
For those who want the most advanced features, the Deluxe tier includes drawing and zooming tools as well as the ability to record computer sounds and use a green-screen filter. Among other things, it removes the time limit on recording and enables video-editing options.
Deluxe is enhanced with the inclusion of a stock picture collection, secure data backups, facilities for sharing and collaborating, and a customized, ad-free site.
Features of Screencast-O-Matic
- With Screencast-o-Matic, you may also receive ad-free cloud hosting as well as limitless text and image editing tools, clip customization, screenshots, and picture editing capabilities.
- Business users will appreciate how well it integrates with popular sharing and collaboration platforms.
- Your WebCam may be added and resized to fit your video, and you can also add narration, stock music, subtitles, and the ability to cut recordings at the beginning and conclusion of your recording session using Screencast-o-Matic.
- With Screencast-o-Matic, you may save your recordings with just a single click. Screencast-o-Matic or YouTube may be accessed by clicking a button when the recording is complete.
Used for: Mac and Windows
G2 rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars
Capterra rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars
Pricing: One-time fee for a single-user license of $299
This screen recorder and editor was developed by TechSmith and has several functions. Camtasia performs admirably on computers running macOS and Windows. Screencasting inside the application itself or via a recording plugin are the two methods to use in order to produce and record video demonstrations and presentations.
Virtually anyone can create a professional video with very little to no prior expertise. Recording your screen, modifying it with effects, and adding some music can bring your finished product to completion. The user interface is really straightforward and intuitive, making it all a breeze.
It even comes with a mobile app, allowing you to rapidly import videos and other media from your phone into the software without any hassle.
Features of Camtasia
- The uncomplicated drag-and-drop feature makes it very easy to apply a variety of effects to recordings.
- You will get access to its extensive library of music and sound effects that do not require paying royalties.
- Your recording will be enhanced with the ability to include titles, notes, zoom-ins and zoom-outs as well as animations.
- Camtasia allows you to import PowerPoint Slides.
- Camtasia 2021 may be purchased for the price of $258.75, and the price consists of both the initial purchase and the annual maintenance charge. You will be able to make free upgrades to later versions of the software once you make the original purchase.
Used for: Mac and Windows
G2 rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars
Capterra rating: 5 out of 5 stars
As an Evernote product, Skitch allows users to take and annotate screenshots additional text, photos, or notes. Use an existing image or capture a new one directly in the tool.
If you're working on a design project with others, Skitch is a terrific solution.
With it, you can take high-quality pictures of your computer screen for free. Users may also add text and other effects to new or old photographs using the app's powerful annotation capabilities. This program is a must-have for anybody looking to work on more complex design projects.
You don't even need to open the image in your preferred image editor to crop.
Skitch doesn't need you to be an Evernote user, but you will need an Evernote account to access the cloud storage and syncing features.
Features of Skitch
- The best tool available for designers that have extensive annotating skills.
- It is well-known for its grandfathered status.
- Stamps are a new feature in the editor that we haven't seen before. You have the ability to directly edit the screenshot by adding question marks or even a REJECTED stamp.
- Saves notes to your Evernote account thanks to its integration with Evernote.
- PNG, JPEG, TIFF, GIF, BMP and PDF file types are all supported.
Choose the right screenshot software for your specific needs
The above-mentioned screenshot tools come equipped with a wide range of useful features. You can add effects and text to your screenshots, as well as distribute them across a variety of platforms.
A good screenshot tool is essential for anyone who frequently needs to take screenshots or record screens. Find out if the UI is simple to use, the functionality is apparent and if it accomplishes its stated purpose. Having a clear idea of what you need can help you make an informed decision.
Even the premium tools on the list provide free plans or trial periods, allowing you to test them out before committing to a purchase.
What is the best free screenshot tool?
In order to make the best decision for yourself, you must first identify and specify your wants and criteria.
Web, Windows, and Mac users can choose from a wide range of free screen capture applications. We recommend Scribe if you're looking to save money while still getting all the functionality you need.
Step-by-step instructions in Scribe help you get the most out of your screenshots. In a couple of seconds, Scribe develops a process document that includes text and screenshots.Generate visual SOPs, training manuals and other documents for free.
What is the best way to take a high-resolution screenshot?
When you’re planning to take a screenshot, the resolution of your monitor is one of the most significant aspects to consider. The quality of the screenshots will improve in direct proportion to the display resolution. Control Panel > Display Settings is where you'll find the option to raise your resolution.
What is the Windows shortcut key for taking screenshots?
Taking a screenshot of your entire screen is as simple as pressing the Print Screen key on your keyboard (PrtScn) or CTRL + PrtScn on your keyboard. ALT + PrtScn is the combination you require if you wish to take a screenshot of your current window. Open an image editing program and just paste the screenshot into it after you've captured it.