- What is employee training software?
- 10 best employee training software in 2023
- Types of online employee training software
- Key features of employee training software
- 5 benefits of employee training software
- Get the most out of your employee training software
Gone are the days when employee training was just a “nice-to-have.” Today, it’s a must. For an organization to grow, it takes more than chasing numbers.
Organizations of all sizes can use employee training software to improve employee productivity, reduce turnover and ensure compliance with regulations. It can also help employees develop new skills and advance their careers.
Read on for a list of the top employee training software in 2023—plus key information about each tool's top features and pricing.
TL;DR: Top employee training software
What is employee training software?
Employee training software is online training software that helps organizations to create, deliver and manage employee training programs. It can be used to train employees on various topics, including onboarding new employees, professional development opportunities, as well as product, compliance, and soft skills training.
10 best employee training software in 2023
Here are 10 of the best employee training software in 2023.
G2 rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars
Capterra rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars
- Free basic plan.
- Pro plan for $29/month.
Scribe is a knowledge-sharing software that combines documentation, collaboration and a knowledge base—all in one central platform.
Scribe is the easiest-to-use employee training software—just let Scribe capture your screen in the background as you work… and voila! Scribe auto-generates a comprehensive step-by-step tutorial in seconds, complete with text and annotated screenshots.
You can easily edit or customize your Scribes, ask AI to add titles, descriptions, additional context and redact any sensitive information. Use Scribe Pages to combine individual guides with videos, images, GIFs and more to create comprehensive training modules.
Scribes can be easily embedded in any knowledge base or LMS—complementing your corporate training program effortlessly.
Collaboration with your team has never been so easy.👌
Scribe key features:
- Easy-to-create custom training materials—like onboarding guides, tutorials, knowledge centers, guided walkthroughs, and more for your internal and external training needs.
- Access to the document editor: Work on training materials with your team in real time.
- Automation: Easily produce ongoing training courses in seconds as you work.
- Collaboration: Collaborate together with other users and your team.
- Easy embedding: Embed your Scribe documentation into any Wiki/knowledge base.
- Content control: Make sure the information is always accurate and updated.
- Universal search: Easily search any content on the platform, including third-party apps linked with Scribe.
- Simple to use, intuitive interface.
- Create step-by-step, easy-to-understand course materials, enhancing training outcomes.
- With Scribe’s newest feature, Pages, you can combine Scribes with video, images and more, creating a multimedia employee training experience.
- Seamlessly integrate Scribe with thousands of third-party tools, including Notion, Confluence, Zendesk, ClickUp, HelpScout, HelpDocs, Miro, Lessonly, 360 Learning, and HubSpot.
- While Scribe's free plan offers rich features and quick customization, branding is only available for the Pro plan.
- Screenshot annotations and redactions are also only available for Pro subscribers.
G2 rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars
Capterra rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars
- Request a quote for pricing. However, FindTheLMS quotes that the annual pricing starts from $2000 with a maximum of $500,000.
Docebo offers a complete enterprise learning solution, thanks to its flexibility and scalability features.
Docebo allows extensive page customization, including logo and color customization for mobile apps and the creation of a personalized sign-in page and course catalog.
Docebo key features:
- Employee training analytics and reporting.
- User management features.
- AI-powered learning.
- Crowdsourced eLearning content repository.
- Custom employee training course creation.
- Compliance training.
- Docebo offers localization benefits with support for 40 languages, allowing organizations to train employees worldwide.
- Coach and Share solution promotes informal social learning and encourages user-generated content from employees.
- Employees can share best practices and insights through guides, video instructions, and presentations.
- Learners can ask for feedback and get answers from other users or internal subject matter experts, similar to a helpdesk.
- Customization options are limited.
- Limited support options, especially for lower-tier pricing plans.
- Reporting capabilities can be cumbersome and often require exporting to Excel or CSV to process results.
G2 rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars
Capterra rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars
The plans range from the free plan (up to five users and 10 courses) to $69 per month for 40 registered users and $459 per month for 1000 users.
TalentLMS is a corporate learning management software platform with a unique focus on onboarding, employee training and compliance training. It offers tools for creating, delivering and tracking eLearning programs.
TalentLMS key features:
- Personalize your experience to match your branding.
- Localize your users’ languages for training that feels like it’s built just for them.
- Create courses with a few simple clicks.
- Live learning sessions.
- Training progress monitoring and management.
- Drag-and-drop course creation.
- Built-in course library.
- Allows companies to create eLearning courses quickly and easily.
- Mobile-friendly, allowing employees to learn at their own pace.
- Flexible gamification settings and a product tour feature.
- The gamification engine allows for the addition of competition and gamification elements.
- Hidden bonus content can be created for learners who have reached a certain level in course progress.
- The product tour feature guides users through the first steps of using the software.
- Limited reporting and analytics.
- No live chat support on most plans.
- Automation features not available in lower-tiered plans.
G2 rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars
Capterra rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars
- Contact LearnUpon for pricing.
LearnUpon is a versatile online staff training software that HR departments can use for internal and external learners.
The corporate training tool provides organizations with an array of tools to build, assign, monitor and measure employee training programs—in one centralized place.
LearnUpon key features:
- Produce training materials in the format that works for your team and audience.
- Mix and match content types.
- Track progress and performance, exam results, survey responses, training histories, etc.
- Integrates with the most popular webinar tools available.
- Automate user creation and enrollments, managing large numbers of learners with bulk upload and the API.
- LearnUpon LMS has a comprehensive learning content library.
- Can be used to create internal wikis and knowledge bases for employees.
- Helps employees find answers to FAQs and company policies.
- The tool is clean and user-friendly.
- No training is required to figure out the platform's capabilities.
- Learners can easily switch between portals depending on the chosen plan.
- Individual learning environments can be created and personalized for different types of learners (employees or partners).
- Limited customization features.
- Users note that the reporting features need improvement, especially compared to other LMSs in the same price range.
G2 rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars
Capterra rating: 5.0 out of 5 stars
- Apty has a free evaluation plan valid for 45 days.
- Email for a custom pricing quote.
Apty is a Digital Adoption Platform that helps employees learn about your products and services in real time—boosting productivity from day one.
Apty key features:
- In-app employee training.
- Employee usage analytics and proactive insights.
- Improve employee performance with custom walkthroughs.
- On-screen guidance to help onboard and train users.
- Apty can be used as an employee training platform to meet enterprise training needs.
- On-screen guidance helps show employees how to perform tasks.
- Personalized walkthrough feature helps new hires and introduces current employees to new features.
- Increases employee engagement and productivity.
- Learning curve.
- Lacks in-app surveys.
6. iSpring Learn
G2 rating: 4.6 out of 5
Capterra rating: 4.7 out of 5
iSpring Learn pricing:
- Spring Suite: $770 per author/year.
- iSpring Suite Max: $970per author/year.
iSpring Learn overview:
iSpring Learn is a cloud-based learning management system (LMS) that offers a range of features to facilitate employee training and mission-critical projects. iSpring Learn is a comprehensive cloud-based LMS with a user-friendly interface and robust functionality.
iSpring Learn key features:
- The platform comes bundled with iSpring Suite, which enables users to create interactive courses, quizzes, role-plays, and professional video lectures.
- Allows the delivery of standalone courses or the creation of comprehensive training programs.
- The platform provides built-in course authoring tools, advanced reporting and analytics, and gamification features.
- iSpring Learn offers extensive content support, responsive design, and compatibility with SCORM and Tin Can API compliance.
- Organizations can personalize learning experiences and improve employee-progress tracking and resource allocation.
- Integrates with popular business tools such as Oracle, ADP, Salesforce, and Zoom.
- Limited customization options.
- Reports are auto-generated and lack flexibility.
G2 rating: 4.2 out of 5
Capterra rating: 4.2 out of 5
- Contact Litmos to request pricing.
Litmos is a cloud-based employee training platform with a user-friendly interface and an eye-catching UI. It stands out due to its robust feature set, including eCommerce functionality and multi-language support.
Litmos key features:
- Offers over 2,000 training courses on topics like finance, sustainability, customer service, and online social presence.
- Litmos offers intuitive software and pre-built courses for employee training and development.
- Supports instructor-led sessions that can be scheduled in the built-in calendar.
- It can be easily scaled up or down to meet your organization's needs.
- Litmos offers good customer support with a variety of support channels.
- Learning curve.
- Expensive pricing, especially for larger companies.
8. Absorb LMS
G2 rating: 4.6 out of 5
Capterra rating: 4.5 out of 5
Absorb LMS pricing:
- Contact Absorb LMS for pricing.
Absorb LMS overview:
Absorb LMS is a cloud-based learning management system (LMS) that offers a flexible learning platform for upskilling and reskilling employees and building and managing training programs for internal and external stakeholders. With Absorb LMS, organizations can create personalized learning experiences for their employees, delivering the right training to the right people at the right time.
Absorb LMS key features:
- Features a built-in course builder and integrated authoring tool.
- Create personalized courses.
- Advanced analytics and reporting capabilities to track learner progress and measure training impact.
- Gamification features like badges and leaderboards to increase learner engagement and motivation.
- Intuitive user interface and responsive design.
- Integrates with software providers like Salesforce, ADP, Microsoft Teams, and Zoom.
- The platform provides extensive content support, including SCORM and HTML5 courses, videos, presentations, and other types of content.
- Supports compliance and certification training to ensure employees meet regulatory requirements.
- 24/7 support.
- Provides access to thousands of ready-to-use courses through content library partners.
- The setup required to configure the system can be challenging and time-consuming.
- Reporting functionality isn't intuitive.
9. SkyPrep LMS
G2 rating: 4.6 out of 5
Capterra rating: 4.8 out of 5
SkyPrep LMS pricing:
- Contact Skyprep LMS for pricing.
SkyPrep LMS overview:
SkyPrep LMS is a cloud-based learning management solution that automates employee training. It offers a range of features that make the learning experience engaging and effortless for both administrators and learners.
SkyPrep LMS key features:
- Intuitive user experience with a modern design, simplified navigation, and efficient user flows.
- Offers a wide range of features, including course creation tools, an LMS, gamification tools, and analytics tools.
- Custom branding features.
- The automated learner enrollment feature saves time by automatically enrolling employees in relevant courses.
- In-depth customer support is provided, and every client on a paid plan is assigned a dedicated Customer Success Manager.
- The content builder feature is simple and does not include a lot of bells and whistles.
- Limited customization capabilities.
10. Cornerstone Learning
G2 rating: 4.1 out of 5
Capterra rating: 4.3 out of 5
Cornerstone Learning pricing:
- Contact Cornerstone Learning for pricing.
Cornerstone Learning overview:
Cornerstone Learning is an all-in-one learning management system (LMS) that brings together various aspects of learning, growth, skills, and capabilities into a personalized, curated experience.
Cornerstone Learning key features:
- Offers features such as certification and compliance management, content authoring, and SCORM compliance.
- Easy drag-and-drop interface.
- Pre-built templates.
- Support for a variety of multimedia content.
- Gamification tools include badges, leaderboards and rewards.
- Social learning tools like discussion forums, wikis, and social media integration.
- Mobile learning support so learners can access training content on their smartphones and tablets.
- Can be expensive, especially for smaller organizations.
- File size limits.
Types of online employee training software
Not all training software is alike!
You can deploy multiple types of training programs across your whole organization—from managerial development to onboarding, ongoing training, software training, etc.—using methods like:
- Educational tools.
- Step-by-step guides.
- Self-led employee training.
- Interactive content.
Here are some different types of software that Human Resources or Ops teams can use to create and manage online employee training programs.
- Learning Management Systems (LMSs): LMSs are the most comprehensive online employee training software. They provide a centralized platform for creating, delivering, and managing training programs. LMSs typically include features such as course creation tools, learner tracking, reporting, and integrations with other HR systems.
- Digital Adoption Platforms (DAPs): DAPs are a newer type of online employee training software designed to help employees learn how to use software applications. DAPs typically use in-app walkthroughs and other interactive elements to provide employees with context-aware training while using the software.
- Knowledge Management Systems (KMSs): KMSs help organizations capture, store, and share knowledge. KMSs can create and manage knowledge bases, wikis and other knowledge-sharing resources. KMSs can also supplement training programs by giving employees the knowledge they need to do their jobs effectively.
- Virtual classroom software: Virtual classroom software allows organizations to deliver live online training sessions to employees. Virtual classroom software typically includes features such as video conferencing, screen sharing, and whiteboarding.
- Content authoring software: Content authoring software creates interactive learning content, such as eLearning courses, simulations, and games. Use it to create customizable course content or to modify existing content.
- Microlearning platforms: Microlearning platforms are designed to deliver employees short, focused learning content, provide training on specific topics, or reinforce key learning concepts. Microlearning content can be delivered in various formats, such as videos, articles, and infographics.
Key features of employee training software
While the type of employee training tool you select depends on the training program you’re implementing, here are some essential features to keep in mind when preparing to launch a training program.
- Accessibility: Your employee training solution should be easily accessible and in a format that works for employees.
- Scalability: Look for a scalable online training platform that can grow with your company and provide the necessary features for expansion.
- Feedback system including polls, quizzes and surveys to determine training effectiveness.
- Personalization: Your software should support tailored training paths and personalized eLearning course maps for an engaging user experience.
- Social learning capabilities: Look for software that tool facilitates group collaboration.
- Advanced and robust reporting system: Managers should be able to view employee progress, access data and reports on team and individual performance, and track training course progress.
- Brand integration: The software should allow for brand customization, such as adding your brand logo and adjusting the color scheme.
- Self-support knowledge centers: The software should have self-led learning tools like help desks or chatbots to assist employee learning.
5 benefits of employee training software
According to the Association for Talent Development (ATD), organizations with comprehensive training programs get 218 percent higher income per trained employee than those without.
Here are some of the benefits of using employee training software:
- Improved employee productivity: Properly trained employees are more productive and efficient. Employee training software can help organizations ensure that all employees have the skills and knowledge to do their jobs effectively.
- Reduced employee turnover: Employees who feel that they are being invested in are more likely to stay with their company. Employee training software can help organizations demonstrate their commitment to employee development, leading to higher staff retention rates.
- Increased compliance: Many organizations must comply with industry regulations like HIPAA and OSHA. Employee training software can help organizations ensure that all employees are aware of and comply with relevant regulations.
- Enhanced employee skills and knowledge: Employee training software can help employees develop new skills and knowledge, leading to improved performance and career advancement opportunities.
- Reduced training costs: Training software can automate many tasks associated with training, including instructor costs, course creation, delivery and tracking. Improving learner engagement and retention also reduces the need for retraining.
Get the most out of your employee training software
The online training platforms on this list are fantastic employee training software organizations should use.
But as you might have noticed, despite what they all have in common, certain unique features, services and pricing plans fit different needs.
To avoid confusion or buying the wrong employee training software, we recommend creating a list of the features you need from a new employee training software, the number of learners to be added, your budget and examples of real-life pain points you’ve experienced while training your employees. Tick your criteria against each software to determine the best for you.
Sign up for free on Scribe today and take your employee training programs to the next level!